Program: The Monica Lewis School of Etiquette
Title: MLSOE Instructor
Location: Houston, TX
Reports to: Chief Manners Officer
Position Type: Part-time, temporary (program and training dates here)
About Us and Our Philosophy:
The Monica Lewis School of Etiquette is a premier service that provides top-notch training in all aspects of etiquette, protocol, and manners. Established in 2009. Our unique “traveling classroom” approach and innovative styles of teaching; Monica Lewis School of Etiquette seeks to transform the social skills of children, teens, adults, and professionals.
Etiquette is a part of daily life in both public and private affairs and is not limited to simply knowing the proper placement of flatware or wearing appropriate attire. In fact, understanding etiquette helps to build confidence and promote better interpersonal relationships as one learns how to interact with others in various social and business settings appropriately.
We offer a comprehensive selection of interactive programs that include:
- Breaking B.A.D. in Business
- Manners & Etiquette for Children
- Corporate, Social, Dining and Tea Etiquette
- One-on-One Coaching
- Financial Literacy Training
- Life Skills Development
- Customer Service Training
- Ballroom Dance
- Job Readiness
- Career Coaching
- And more…
Reporting to the CMO, the Instructor will play an integral role in delivering and sustaining the transformative educational experience that MLSOE clients need to pursue, persist, and excel. MLSOE instructors selected to teach courses to 10-25 students grades K-12 (Instructor: Student ratio averages 1:25). MLSOE Core courses include Ethics, Etiquette, Civility, Life Skills, Literacy, Numeracy, Character Development, Entrepreneurship, Dining, and Social-Emotional Learning.
Teaching at The Monica Lewis School of Etiquette is about professional growth, personal commitment, and the tenacity to challenge the pedagogical status quo. The Monica Lewis School of Etiquette offers a unique environment for scholars and staff alike to focus on their interests in education and explore cutting-edge practices. We are seeking exceptionally talented individuals to help us expand our programs and classroom footprint across the greater Houston area.
This is approximately a six-eight week assignment, with paid training before MLSOE and a part-time engagement through the duration of The Monica Lewis School of Etiquette (6 weeks). Although the majority of the position will function as described below, some aspects are subject to change due to evolving program needs.
Course Description: This class will introduce students to the rules of etiquette. The topics covered in the etiquette programs are as follows:
- Social Graces:
- First Impressions, Greeting, Attitude, and Body Language
- Politeness: Please, Thank You, Excuse Me Writing Thank You Letters and Cards
- Leadership and Social Skills
- Social Respect
- Phone and Social Media Etiquette
- Personal Appearance (How to Dress for Success)
- Dining Etiquette
- Introduction to Dining Skills, Tables Manners & Business Etiquette
- Attend Instructor Training (see link above for specific training dates)
- Facilitate Classroom Instruction
- Typically Two 1.5 hrs sessions (3hrs/week) 2 days/week
- Attend 1:1 & Staff Meetings
- Attend Final Recognition + Exhibition Events (as needed)
- Ensure Completion of Instructor Deliverables (e.g. log pre + post-assessment scores, surveys, final inventory, etc.)
The attributes you possess:
- Collaboration: Exceptional communication skills; professionalism; excellent time management and organizational skills; timeliness and dependability; ability to have difficult conversations
- Relationship Building: Respect for individual differences of everyone in the room; humility; patience when addressing situations; ability to listen to multiple perspectives
- Problem Solving: Remain curious, innovate, iterate, and quickly pivot as needed; keep activities on task and think creatively in the face of unexpected events; consider multiple perspectives in all situations
- Resilience: Approach situations with a growth mindset, adapt, and reflect to ensure desired outcome(s) are met; a sense of urgency
- Life-long Learner: Willingness to model learning and figure out content alongside scholars; open to feedback; learning from what scholars have to offer
Position requires walking, sitting, and standing day-to-day. Climbing stairs, running, and participation may be required during community activities. Lifting and carrying up to 10 lbs of supplies may be required.
- High School Diploma (Some College Preferred)
- Must love kids
- Excellent classroom management
- Demonstrated effectiveness working with diverse academic fields
- Pass criminal background check
- Desire to teach new skills; openness to various and/or new teaching paradigms
- Willingness to be self-reflective and reflexive about your individual teaching philosophy and practice
- Availability for weekdays 3-6 pm, and weekends as needed
- Prior teaching experience is a plus
This is a contract position. You will be paid for the total hours worked for each assigned campus. Should the instructor miss any hours or days of work, the daily and therefore total compensation will be adjusted accordingly. If your assignment ends earlier than we anticipate for any reason, your compensation may also be reduced accordingly. Please note, pay will be variable per pay period based on part-time and full-time phases of the program. These policies are subject to variation based on specific circumstances.
Statement of Non-Discrimination:
In keeping with our beliefs and goals, no employee or applicant will face discrimination/harassment based on: race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, age, gender, marital/domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status, or veteran status. Above and beyond discrimination/harassment based on protected categories, MLSOE also strives to prevent other subtler forms of inappropriate behavior (i.e., stereotyping) from ever gaining a foothold in our office. Whether blatant or hidden, barriers to success have no place at the Level Playing Field Institute.
We value a diverse workforce, retired educators or college students interested in teaching are strongly encouraged to apply.
CLICK HERE TO APPLY